Roof Repair vs. Replacement: How to Know Which Is the Right Option
Every roof will deteriorate over time and need repair — and eventually replacement. But how do you know which is the right choice for the current condition of your home? If you wait too long to re-roof, you risk sustaining water damage or leaks. On the other hand, if you replace your roofing too soon, it’s an unnecessary expense. Roofing is a big investment, so you want to make sure you know when residential roof repair is enough or when it’s time to replace.
When it comes to deciding which roofing service you need, you have a few key factors to consider, including:
- Your roof’s age: This is typically the most important consideration involved in roof repair. Asphalt shingles have a lifespan of around 15 to 30 years, so consider how long it’s been since your roofing was installed. If there’s some damage but the roof is relatively young, a repair job will probably do the trick. If the roof is leaking or damaged and past 15 or 20 years old, replacing the entire roof is the better option.
- Roof damage: Check your roof for signs of damage. Are shingles missing or buckling? Can you see any evidence of damaged flashing? Small, minor damaged areas are easy to repair, but widespread damage will most likely require a full roof replacement.
- Water leaks: Check both your roof and the interior of your house for evidence of water damage or leaks. Flashing points — the sealer between joints — can often experience a little leaking. An isolated leak can easily be corrected with asphalt shingle roof leak repair, but multiple leaks may need roof replacement to correct them.
- How long you’ll be in the home: Sometimes, the decision to replace or repair is based on how much you want to invest in the home you’re in. Are you spending the rest of your life in this house, or are you planning on selling in a couple of years? If the roof is in generally good shape and you’re moving out soon, a repair job should suffice.
How Does the Home Roof Repair Process Differ From the Replacement Process?
Residential roof repair involves replacing or repairing individual shingles where signs of damage have occurred. This can involve swapping shingles, repairing cracked shingles or fixing curled shingles. Repairing portions of the roof involves spot-fixing and occasionally replacing certain pieces are spot-fixed and occasionally replaced.
The roof replacement process, however, involves removing the entirety of the old shingle layers and replacing them with completely new shingles across the roof.
What Does Residential Roof Repair Involve?
Depending on the type and severity of your roof’s damage, roof contractors can use a few different methods of repair. Here at Sunshine Contracting, we offer a variety of asphalt roof repair capabilities, including:
- Replacing individual shingles: When part of an asphalt shingle is missing or severely damaged, sometimes the only way to fix it is by swapping it with a new shingle tile. This process involves carefully detaching the old tile from the roof layers, removing it and installing a new shingle.
- Fixing cracked shingles: When a shingle or flashing is cracked or leaking, replacement is not always necessary. Your roofing contractor can use roofing sealant to seal the cracks or spaces between shingles and reinforce the roof.
- Curled corner repair: Over time, asphalt shingles tend to curl up or down at the corners. To stop the curling from becoming cracking or sagging, the repair process involves gluing down the corners and sealing them back to the roof.
- Fixing Faulty & Deteriorated Flashing: This includes step flashing, apron flashing, and chimney flashing. We’ll check all penetrations and vulnerable points on the roof such as pipe collars, chimneys, and skylights.
Get a Free Roof Repair Quote From Sunshine Contracting Today
When you’re looking for a roof repair contractor in Virginia, Sunshine Contracting is your most reliable local service. As a family-owned and operated business offering asphalt roof repair as well as roof replacement, we personally make sure your roof is in the best shape possible.
What makes us different? We’ve been serving locations across Virginia for more than 26 years. Sunshine prides itself on staying updated and certified in the industry — which is why our company and installers are certified by dozens of industry manufacturers around the country. We are Class-A Contractor-licensed, OSHA-compliant, EPA Lead-certified, insured, expertly trained and so much more. Plus, we’ve earned an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and have been recognized for numerous other service awards.
Sunshine Contracting’s in-house installation and roof repair teams offer you the utmost in quality, customer service and repair. Because we’re so confident in our ability to improve your roof, we back our work with lifetime warranties, free estimates and 0% financing options. Ready to see the aesthetic and functional improvement your home exterior deserves? Call us at 703-935-4663 today to request a free quote or free in-home consultation. We look forward to serving your home roof repair needs.
Schedule a Free In-Home Consultation