A sturdy roof protects your home against Northern Virginia’s outside elements. Over time, harsh weather conditions and other influences could wear down your roofing and affect its integrity. You may also notice damage if a professional didn’t install or maintain your roof correctly. This guide can help you find out how to fix roof damage on your property.
The Most Common Causes of Roof Damage in Virginia
Protect your home from the following ways your roof can suffer from damage:
- Improper installation: A reputable roofing contractor will install your shingles and underlayment correctly. They ensure all your roof’s components are in place to maintain its integrity. However, if they cut corners or rush through your roofing replacement, the roof can get damaged. If you want to replace your roof, you can prevent future damage by hiring a reliable contractor who uses high-quality underlayment, flashing and roof sealants and knows how to fasten or overlap the shingles correctly.
- Winds and other storms: Your shingles and underlayment can wear down from high winds, hurricanes and thunderstorms. Hail storms can also crack your shingles and the components around your roof. To prevent roof storm damage, you’ll want to invest in roof shingles containing materials with high wind resistance. You should also inspect your roof after any storm for gaps or cracks that could bring leaks into your home.
- Ice and snow: A blizzard could cause a buildup of snow on top of your roof, putting excess weight on the structure. Ice dams can also form on your roof in cold temperatures and lead to severe damage. As ice freezes, it expands and creates gaps in your shingles. You’ll need to inspect your roof often and install the proper attic insulation to prevent ice and snow damage.
- Sunlight and high heat: In the summertime, sunlight and heat can wear down on your roof. Over time, the coating on your asphalt shingles could deteriorate, leaving your roofing vulnerable to damage. Your roof and attic should have the proper ventilation and insulation to protect your home against the sun’s harsh effects. You may also want to install a radiant barrier on the attic ceiling to reduce summer heat gain.
- Lack of proper maintenance: Your roof should be looked at and maintained about once a year. A professional roofing contractor will help you keep the shingles and underlayment in excellent condition to prolong their life span. Debris and any overlooked damage could affect your whole roof’s integrity. Cleaning out your gutters or installing gutter leaf guards can also help prevent leaves, dirt and water buildup.
- Water damage: Rainwater can damage your roof and leak into other parts of the home. Pools of water can accumulate during storms and cause your shingles to deteriorate. Excess moisture can also cause the wooden framing to rot and warp. Inspect your roof’s draining system often to prevent water accumulation.
- Poor ventilation: Your home needs a functional ventilation system on the roofing and in the attic to control air and water flow. This system regulates the attic’s temperature and humidity to prevent excess moisture. Install roofing ventilation and have it inspected often to manage adequate air circulation in your roof and attic.
The Most Common Roofing Problems
Contact a professional roofing contractor who knows how to fix roof damage if you notice any of the following problems:
- Broken or missing shingles: Hail or heavy winds can rip your roofing shingles. Improper installation can also leave your shingles more vulnerable to tears during these severe storms.
- Curling or shrinking shingles: Excessive heat or dryness in the air can cause the edges of your roof’s shingles to claw inward or cup outward. Old age and temperature changes could also cause your shingles to shrink. Unless your roof has a smooth surface, your shingles and underlayment will be vulnerable to roof damage.
- Flashing problems: Improper installation of your roof can cause faulty flashing. Flashing directs water away from the roof’s weak areas. If there isn’t a tight seal around the galvanized steel or zinc alloy components, water can leak into your home.
- Clogged or broken gutters: If you don’t maintain your roof and gutters properly, debris can clog your gutters and block water flow. In extreme cases, the weight from heavy snow or rain can wear down on them and detach them from the house.
- Leaks: Extreme weather conditions, lack of proper maintenance and improper installation contribute to leaks in your roof. If water has leaked into your home, you’ll notice signs of deterioration on your roof’s shingles and underlayment and in your attic.
- Mold and mildew growth: If your roof and attic lack the proper ventilation, excess moisture can cause mold and mildew to develop. Besides leaving unsightly spots inside and outside your house, this microbial growth can also harm those in your household who suffer from allergies and respiratory conditions.
How We Fix Your Roof
At Sunshine Contracting Corp, we specialize in roof replacements to fix any roofing problem. You may be able to make repairs to minimal damage, but it often makes more financial sense to replace the whole roof, especially if it’s more than a few decades old. Our team can inspect your roof and help you figure out the best solutions for roof damage replacement.
Here’s what we replace to fix your roof’s damaged components:
- Damaged or missing shingles: We replace your broken or blown-off shingles to prevent leaks from coming into your home.
- Flashing problems: We replace all appropriate flashings per the manufacturer’s specifications and county code requirements.
- Broken gutters: Our team has a wide selection of seamless gutters that can withstand weather damage and last a long time on your property.
- Leaks: We can assess the water damage on the exterior of your house and replace the damaged components.
Benefits of a Roof Replacement
Consider some advantages of replacing your whole roof instead of repairing damaged parts:
- Enhance your property’s curb appeal: Your roof makes up a significant portion of your exterior property. Fixing a few shingles can make your house look nicer, but a brand-new roof can make it stand out among the others in your neighborhood.
- Make your home more energy efficient: Updated roofing materials do a better job of insulating your attic and overall home than outdated ones. As a result of replacing your roof, you’ll save money on your energy bills over time. Your house’s interior temperature will also be more comfortable throughout the year.
- Yield a high return on investment (ROI): Roof repairs cost less money than replacement, but they don’t give your property the same durability and stability as a new roof. Updating this component of your home might be a costly upfront investment, but it results in an ROI of 68.2%.
- Obtain greater peace of mind: A roof replacement involves replacing your roof’s underlayment, framing and shingles. If you try to repair your roof by changing out a few worn-out shingles, you may have to replace its other components anyway. With a replacement, you and your family will feel more secure in a home with new, high-quality roofing materials over your heads.
Contact Sunshine Contracting for Roof Replacement Services in Northern VA
If you notice roof damage on your home in Northern Virginia, we’ll send one of our professional roofing contractors to inspect your property. After assessing the worn-out components, we’ll develop a plan to protect your home against leaks and other harmful elements. For more information about our roofing products and services, contact us online or call 703-935-4663.