When it comes to the look and style you want for your home, your window decision can make all the difference. Replacement windows can significantly add to home value in today’s market. The windows you choose affect the amount of natural light inside your home, your ability to see out into your surrounding neighborhood and your feeling of connection to the outside world. They can also change a boring or small-looking home into a comfortable and welcoming structure.
But you need to know what to ask when you decide to buy replacement windows so you can confidently hire a contractor to do the job right. At Sunshine Contracting Corp., we’ve put together some questions you’ll want to ask to get started.
Choosing the Right Replacement Window
It’s important that you decide exactly what type of window you feel would be best for your home. Plenty of factors come into play during window shopping including lighting, space, price range and neighborhood. Remember to ask what specific window types and brands the crew recommends and why.
When asking your window replacement questions, you’ll want to get a feel for the experience level and legitimacy of the contractor you’re considering. Ask the following questions to make sure you are comfortable with this company:
- How long has the company been doing this business? — Remember that longer doesn’t always mean better. Young companies can perform exemplary installation, but it’s still an important detail to be aware of.
- Are you insured and licensed to perform window replacements in this state? — Under some circumstances, it’s actually legal for a contractor to complete window replacements without a license. You’ll want to make sure yours has passed the proper qualifications to do the job right.
- What previous projects represent your ability to complete my window replacements to high standards? — This is your opportunity to ask for customer references and referrals, view pictures of previous window replacements from both inside and outside and find out the company’s track record for effectively resolving customer complaints.
- Are you confident enough in your windows and installation capabilities to offer a warranty on both? — Make sure there’s a plan in place for if anything goes wrong, damages occur or the windows aren’t fully functional after installation.
Next, you’ll want to find out how much everything will cost, including the price for an estimate, the windows themselves, installation and associated fees. Ask whether the estimate is subject to change, by how much, and what the company’s payment terms are so you’re positive you can responsibly cover all charges.
Included in the Cost
Before you make a decision, find out what’s included in the price you pay. What do you envision when you picture your new windows? You might want to get creative in this category, but here are some questions to get started:
- Will you take care of the exterior trim?
- What do you do with the interior of the windows?
- Does the installation price include painting?
If you like what you’ve heard so far, it’s time to find out about the installation details. A timeline is important, so find out how long the process will take — from ordering to installation — and whether circumstances like weather could hinder the timeline.
It’s also important to know how your home will be taken care of during installation. Ask if your contractor will need someone from the household present throughout the process, how they will protect the surrounding area in your home and who else will be there to complete and oversee installation.
Find the Right Answers to Your Questions With Sunshine Contracting Corp.
At Sunshine Contracting Corp., we use our own expert crew to avoid the inconsistencies that often arise with subcontracting. We offer a variety of replacement window options with warranties throughout several Virginia regions and we’re more than happy to answer every window replacement question you have.
Contact us with your questions now!