Looking for a quick, easy way to revamp your home décor? Select new window treatments, and you should have no trouble transforming your drab home interior into a fabulous work of art.
Window treatments serve as aesthetic coverings placed on, inside or over windows. They allow you to control light that enters your home and function as insulators that may make it easier for you to keep your house cool in summer and warm in winter.
Of course, window treatments provide you with the opportunity to make a distinct fashion statement anywhere in your home, too. They come in a variety of colors, patterns and designs, and as such, you’re sure to find plenty of window treatment options to match your personal style.
What Types Of Windows Are Available?
Many window options are available, including:
- Double-Hung —This kind of window will slide vertically up and down inside the window frame.
- Casement — A casement window is a hinged window that opens using a crank in an operating mechanism.
- Awning — An awning window is hinged at the top and opens from the left or right and bottom.
- Picture — Designed to allow the maximum amount of light to enter a room, a picture window usually is large and offers a great view of the outdoors.
- Transom — This narrow window is set up above a door or window to allow more light to enter a room.
- Sliding— A sliding window will glide along a track and opens horizontally.
- Stationary — A stationary window does not open but often adds visual interest in a room and can be customized.
- Bay — A bay window protrudes from the exterior of the siding of a building to provide additional interior space.
Clearly, numerous windows are available to suit your home needs. And with the right window treatments, you can revamp the appearance of your home’s interior and exterior.
How To Measure Your Windows
Before you select window treatments, you’ll first want to measure your windows. Doing so can be fast and simple and requires the following measurements:
- Width — Find out the width of a window by measuring the jambs at the top, middle, and bottom of the window opening. Be sure to measure from the surface of the jambs as well.
- Height — To measure the height, you’ll want to measure from the high point of the window sill to the top of the window opening. Also, make three measurements: one at the center of the window, one at the left side, and one at the right side.
- Depth — Ensure there is at least 3 1/4 inches of opening depth from the inside window trim to the outside blind strip. In addition, you can ignore all pulleys and parting strips when you measure a window’s depth, as these parts will need to be removed or replaced.
Provide the opening size only when you order windows. This will ensure that you’re able to receive the right windows to fit a particular space.
Window Treatments 101
On average, most homeowners spend between $93 and $406 on window treatment installation costs, according to home improvement website HomeAdvisor. As such, window treatments often represent an affordable option for homeowners who want to revamp their home décor without breaking their budgets.
Many window treatment options are available for homeowners as well, and some of the most popular include:
For those who appreciate the natural beauty of wood, you simply cannot go wrong with wood blinds. These window treatments consist of hardwood for supreme quality and will maintain their appearance for an extended period of time. Plus, wood blinds often serve as superb insulators and come in a variety of stains to complement any setting’s décor.
Faux Wood Blinds
For window treatments that are easy to wash and replicate the appearance of natural wood, faux wood blinds represent an ideal option. Faux wood blinds even serve as terrific, long-lasting options in bathrooms, kitchens and other areas where moisture can be problematic.
Roller shades deliver an unbeatable mix of fashion and function. They come in myriad materials, including solar mesh and different types of fabric, and offer exceptional light control and energy efficiency.
Looking to bring a touch of glamour and elegance to a setting’s décor? Pick up Roman shades, which add a unique design flair to a room’s décor. They are available in widths up to 120? and will fit just about any window perfectly.
Add an eco-friendly accent to a setting’s décor with bamboo window treatments, which are exceedingly popular for beach and coastal residences, lakeside or country cottages, and traditional or metropolitan houses.
Ideal for a family room or living room, semisheer window treatments offer a light, subtle hint of privacy when they are lowered.
Also known as “top-down, bottom-up shades,” cellular shades are designed for maximum privacy. They feature a honeycomb design and allow you to capture plenty of light and maintain your privacy at the same time.
Commonly found in bedrooms, floor-to-ceiling draperies are both luxurious and practical. They offer ample light — even when they are closed — and can help you maintain privacy.
Designed for fast, easy installation, roller shades are frequently used in bathrooms. They are perforated, allowing light to travel through them with ease.
As the name implies, blackout curtains will cancel out light in any room. They consist of dense fabric that light cannot penetrate, making them wonderful options for those who want curtains that can block out light at any time.
With shutters, you can block out light and make a unique fashion statement every day. These window treatments are stylish and versatile, making them outstanding options in just about any setting.
For those who want to try something different with their window treatments, stained glass represents a fantastic choice. Stained glass window treatments can serve as the focal point of a room’s décor and make it easy for you to maintain your privacy.
Home improvement advisor HouseLogic points out an average house that features 15 energy-efficient window treatments can obtain annual energy savings of $150. Plus, the savings provided by energy-efficient window treatments usually covers the cost of these treatments within 15 years of installation.
Many top-notch window treatment options are available, which sometimes can make selecting the right ones for your home extremely difficult. Fortunately, we can help you take the guesswork out of choosing window treatments for your home so you can find window treatments you’ll be able to enjoy for years to come.
Choosing Window Treatments
If you’re not careful, the process of choosing window treatments may prove to be both costly and time-consuming. But there are window treatments that will dazzle and meet your privacy needs consistently.
You should consider several factors as you evaluate your window treatment options, including:
Will window treatments fit your windows properly? If not, you’ll want to move on to other options. It also is important to note that looking at the measurements of window treatments alone is insufficient, as many of these treatments will need to be fitted to the length, width and height of the inside surfaces of the window. But if you use a measurement guide, you’ll be better equipped to find the right window treatments for any room’s windows without delay.
What they’re made of may dictate the cost of your window treatments and window treatment installation. For example, hardwood window treatments usually are more expensive than vinyl window treatments. At the same time, hardwood window treatments may be more likely to maintain their quality and appearance for an extended period of time than their vinyl counterparts.
When it comes to choosing window treatments, you’ll want to look at the material of your treatments closely to match your personal style and budget.
Drapes commonly are the cheapest window treatments to install. Comparatively, blinds are the most expensive to install. In addition, window treatment installation costs may vary based on the number of treatments that you’d like to install in your home. In some cases, you may be able to receive discounted rates if you install your window treatments in bulk.
The type of window treatments you select will influence your window treatment costs. Typically, shades represent the most affordable window treatment option, while curtains and drapes are the most expensive. Moreover, if you decide to get custom window treatments, you may wind up paying more than you would for other options.
You also should ensure mounting hardware is available with any window treatments you buy. That way, you’ll be better equipped to set up your window treatments quickly and efficiently.
How to Choose Window Treatment Colors
Now that you know all about the different types of window treatments and the factors to review when you purchase window treatments, let’s next consider how to choose window treatment colors.
Here are five tips to consider as you search for the right window treatment colors.
- Focus on Extending Your Home’s Décor. Selecting the same window treatment color for every room of your home certainly is a viable option, but it is far from ideal in every residence. And if you’re unsure about how you want your window treatments to complement your home’s décor, start small and work your way forward. To do so, you can incorporate window treatments in a color that matches your personal style in one room of your home. Then, if you like what you see, you can incorporate identical or complementary window treatments into different rooms of your home.
- Go With a Tone-on-Tone Approach. Bring a touch of intrigue to your home’s décor with a tone-on-tone approach to window treatment colors. This approach involves using multiple shades of a single color across different rooms of your house. It also provides a classy, timeless look.
- Don’t Be Afraid to Add a Splash of Color. Don’t settle for bland window treatments. Instead, you can pick up window treatments that enable you to brighten up your living space. If you want to go bold with your window treatments, you can check out options in vibrant colors that are sure to make a unique impression day after day.
- Understand the Impact of Subtle, Neutral Shades. Cream, gray and white window treatments are great choices for those who want neutral colors that will look great in any setting. The use of subtle, neutral shades may not be flashy, but these colors will allow you to eliminate the chance that window treatments may detract from the awe-inspiring beauty of a room.
- Check Out Patterns with Texture. You don’t need to overhaul a room’s décor to incorporate innovative patterns and textures into the setting’s décor. With window treatments that feature distinguished patterns and textures, you can implement mid-century and/or retro motifs into a room’s décor instantly.
Determining the best window treatment colors may seem impossible at times, but there’s no reason to make your color choices on your own. When in doubt, be sure to consult with family members and friends to get their design perspectives. Or you can always work with an interior designer who can help you reinvent a room’s décor with captivating and versatile window treatments.
Window Treatment Ideas
Searching for the right inspiration for your window treatments? We’re here to help you explore window treatment ideas for your living room or any other setting to ensure you can enhance a setting’s décor any time you choose.
Here’s a closer look at 10 innovative window treatment ideas that work in a broad range of homes.
- Use Curtains with Contrasting Trim. Incorporating curtains that feature contrasting trim can make a world of difference in a room’s décor. These window treatments will provide a living space with a sleek, modern look and ensure you won’t have to sacrifice your privacy, either.
- Brighten Up a Room’s Décor with Mohair Curtains. Regardless of whether you’re looking for window treatments for a chic Manhattan apartment or a small farmhouse bedroom, you can brighten up a setting’s décor immediately thanks to Mohair curtains. These window treatments are stylish and vibrant and consist of a lustrous, durable fabric that guarantees long-lasting quality.
- Pick Up Swing-Arm Curtains. For those who appreciate the finer things in life, there may be no better choice than swing-arm curtains that add a luxurious accent to a bedroom’s décor. Swing-arm curtains feature a classic look and feel, and are sure to sparkle in bedrooms of all shapes and sizes.
- Go With a Three-Tone Treatment. Can’t decide on a single color for your window treatments? Consider multiple tones within the same treatments — you’ll be glad you did. The use of three tones — with the lightest color at the top and the darkest at the bottom — can help break up monotony in a living space.
- Select Elegant Window Treatments and Hardware. Your window treatments can help you bring a touch of elegance to a room’s décor, but you should remember the impact of your window treatment hardware as well. Picking up hardware that features an antique style may further enhance the look and feel of your window treatments and allow you to transform a room into an elegant living space.
- Choose Window Treatments With Clean Lines. For those who appreciate the beauty of minimalist-inspired designs, choosing window treatments with clean lines may be ideal. These window treatments will look and perform great in a modern or traditional setting and are sure to impress any minimalist, too.
- Coordinate With Your Wallpaper. If you enjoy a room’s wallpaper, try to find window treatments that match this wallpaper. These treatments will provide consistency throughout a room’s décor. Plus, you’re more likely to smile every time you enter a room that features wallpaper and window treatments that fit your personal style as well.
- Break Away From All White. If a room features a white ceiling and white walls, colorful window treatments may prove to be excellent choices. These treatments will minimize the chance of creating a dull, boring setting, and instead provide just the right amount of color to make a bland living space stand out.
- Bring the Ocean Into Your Home. If you want to bring the beach experience into your bedroom, living room or kitchen, aquamarine window treatments are readily available. These treatments represent outstanding options for those who cannot get enough of the ocean and may help you remain comfortable and relaxed any time you enter a particular room.
- Go Bright and White in Any Room. To incorporate a light, airy accent into a room’s décor, bright, white window treatments are essential. These window treatments are sophisticated and versatile, and are sure to deliver an unsurpassed blend of style and function.
If you come up with your own window treatment ideas, you may be able to incorporate custom window treatments into any room of your home, too. Brainstorm window treatment ideas, and as a result, you will create innovative designs that complement your individual style.
Contact Sunshine Contracting Today
At Sunshine Contracting, we possess comprehensive window and door expertise that will help you achieve your window treatment goals. For over 20 years, we’ve provided high-quality, professional window and door services. We fully support our clients throughout their projects.
We’ve even been recognized as one of the Top 200 Exterior Remodelers in the Nation for eight consecutive years. We continue to use the same crew for every installation. Please contact us today at 703-935-4663 to learn more about our window treatment services. Or click here to request a free estimate.